The New City Library encourages visits by children and wants to make these occasions memorable, educational, and enjoyable. This policy has been established to achieve these goals.
The Library assumes no responsibility for the care and supervision of children. No library employee is authorized to care for any child regardless of circumstances. Children below the age of nine and children who require supervision must be with a caregiver at all times. Children may not be supervised or left in the care of anyone who is under the age of sixteen (16).
The Library requires that caregivers do the following:
- Monitor and approve their charge’s use of books, materials, technology and other resources of the New City Library. The Library staff has no obligation to and will make no attempt to restrict access by children to information in the Library or on its computers.
- Ensure that their charge exhibits appropriate behavior in the Library and in library programs as described in the Library’s Code of Conduct.
- Be alert to “stranger danger.” The Library, unlike a school, is an open facility and cannot restrict who may visit. Also, the Library staff does not and cannot monitor when children leave and/or with whom they may be leaving.
- Children aged 9 -12 may be left in the children’s department for a reasonable period of time. Parents or guardians are still responsible for their behavior and will be contacted if necessary.
- Staff may attempt to contact the parents or guardians of unattended children in the following events:
- Caregiver is not present at closing time.
- Child’s health or safety is in question.
- Child’s behavior is not in compliance with Patron Code of Conduct.
- Library closes due to emergency conditions.
The Clarkstown Police Department will be contacted if a caregiver cannot be located. Under no circumstances may a library staff member drive a child to any location.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for the behavior of their children in or about the library and shall be liable for any damage they cause.
- Adult patrons who are not accompanying a child or engaged in library activities that require materials in the children’s area may be asked to relocate from the Children’s Room.
- When Clarkstown Schools are not in session, the Teen Room is reserved for teens and accompanying family members. Other patrons may be asked to relocate to other areas of the library.