- Find an Item
- About Us
- About the Library
- Suggestion Box
- Adult Volunteer Application
- Board of Trustees
- Friends of the Library
- Library Policies
- Library Affiliations
- Library Financial Audit 2014
- What's New
- Local History
Patron Code of Conduct
To ensure that all patrons of and visitors to (“patrons”) the New City Library are able to enjoy the facilities to the fullest extent, and to protect the safety and personal comfort of all patrons and library staff, the Board of Trustees has adopted these rules and regulations concerning the library buildings, grounds and parking areas (the “premises”):
1. General Use: While on library premises, all patrons shall conduct themselves so that they will not interfere, by their actions or speech, with the rights of others.
a. Patrons shall not engage in activities not associated with the use of a public library.
b. Patrons shall comply with reasonable requests of the library staff.
c. The library reserves the right to inspect the contents of any bag, knapsack or brief case that a patron wishes to bring into the library building or onto library grounds, including the parking lot.
d. Reasonable quiet is expected, especially in designated study areas. Patrons shall not disturb others using the library.
e. Patrons shall neither impede the orderly or efficient operation of the library nor engage in any illegal activity which violates Federal, State, Local or other applicable law or library policy.
f. Patrons shall not conduct any business or trade for profit.
g. Misconduct such as the use of inappropriate language or behavior, gestures or bullying, public drunkenness, offensive body odor, drug usage, sale or exchange of alcohol or drugs and other offensive behavior will result in expulsion and/or suspension of library privileges.
h. Other unacceptable library behavior includes sleeping, staring, stalking, soliciting, loitering, littering, using library facilities for inappropriate purposes such as bathing or laundering clothes and damaging property.
i. Photography, audio or video recording without express written consent from the library director is prohibited.
2. Entrances, Parking Lots and other Library Grounds:
a. Americans with Disabilities Act: the library will comply with accessibility guidelines as set forth in the ADA.
b. Staff work areas are restricted to library staff and authorized volunteers. Patrons shall not enter the staffs’ work areas without express invitation and permission from an authorized member of the library staff.
c. Patrons shall not loiter in the library’s parking areas or at the entrances to the library.
d. Vehicles left unattended in the library parking lot when the library is closed are subject to towing at the owner’s expense.
e. Skates, skateboards, sleds and other sports equipment may not be used on library property.
3. Use of electronic devices:
a. Cellular telephones, pagers, or other electronic devices should be muted or used with headphones so as not to disturb other patrons or library staff. Patrons should not conduct loud phone conversations. Those not complying will be asked to leave the building.
b. Personal computers: Patrons using their own computers must comply with the library’s Internet Policy as well as with the Patron Code of Conduct.
c. Failure to comply with these rules, with or without the intent to disturb others, shall constitute annoying or harassing behavior, and may result in short- or long-term loss of library privileges.
4. Harassment, abusive speech or action toward library staff or patrons will not be tolerated and may result in loss of library privileges.
5. Food or beverage: Food is not permitted in the library unless part of a library program with prior approval in a designated meeting space. Covered beverages are permitted except at computer workstations and in the Rockland Room.
6. Smoking: Patrons may not smoke in the building, in the Children's Garden, nor within fifty feet of the building. This includes cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and devices that produce smoke; i.e.: electronic cigarettes, vapors and water pipes.
7. Use of Materials: Education Law NYS §264 forbids the vandalism or defacement of library property. A patron who vandalizes, steals, or destroys library property will forfeit all library privileges and will be subject to financial liability for damages.
8. Distribution of materials: Handouts, flyers and other materials shall not be distributed to the public or posted without the permission of an authorized member of the library staff.
9. Animals: No animals other than service animals for the disabled or those used in a library program are permitted.
10. Attire: Patrons shall wear proper attire including shirt and shoes.
11. Personal Property: The library is not liable for lost or damaged personal property.
This Code of Conduct is not intended to be a complete list of violations. The Library reserves the right to take action against any behavior which can reasonably be deemed offensive or disturbing. The library staff is authorized to expel any person who does not follow the above rules. Law Enforcement will be contacted if an individual does not exit the Library premises when told to do so by Library staff.
Revision History: Adopted October 26, 2006; Revised October 15, 2015
 New City Library Internet Access Policy, including all permitted use of personal and library computers.